A couple of days before my water finally broke, everyone got sick. Jason came down with some sort flu or something, or so we thought.  Both Jason and Ana had fevers over 100 degrees. Mine topped out at 99.4. Jason spent the weekend in bed, so I was left to care for Ana on my own.  I’d gotten passed the danger zone, so I didn’t feel to guilty about moving around more than I had previous month.

I went to a doctor’s appointment, but found my doctor was at the hospital delivering a baby or two.  Apparently late October and Early November was a very popular time to give birth. The woman at the desk suggested I reschedule, which I did reluctantly.  I came home to find Jason’s fever had shot up to 103, which scared both of us.  He promised to go the doctor or the ER if it didn’t go down over night.


I dreamed that Sebastian would be born after a short labor and that Jason would miss it. I had no idea that dream would turn out to be true.  I got up to go to the bathroom several times during the night.  At about 4am, I felt a gush of liquid.  I got up and checked it out. I woke Jason up and told him my water had broken.  Jason had just taken a sleeping pill and was not up to driving me to the hospital in that condition.  I weighed my options and decided to drive myself to the ER. I hated to wake my Mom or Mother-in-Law up and have to wait on them to get dressed and drive over to get me when I was closer to the hospital than they were. It was only 10 minutes away, if that, and I knew I could make it before the contractions set in.

The plan was for Jason to get some more sleep and then get up. He would call my Mom or his Mom to watch Ana and then he’d drive over to the hospital to meet me.  Labor could take anywhere from three to thirteen hours.  We thought we had plenty of time and that he would be by my side in no time.

I parked close to the front and went to the ER.  They got a wheel chair and took me to Labor and Delivery.  I changed into my gown and had an initial exam.  I was 5 centimeters dilated and completely effaced.  The liquid was definitely amniotic fluid and not urine. However, my water hadn’t completely broken. It was more like it had just sprung a leak.   I opted for med right away since my window of opportunity was going to be so small.


I called my Mom at 6:30am. It had just been 2 ½ hours since my water had broke and not quite 2 hours since I’d checked myself into the hospital. I told her what had happened and she said she’d get ready and head over to my house to watch Ana shortly.

After I hung up with Mom, the doctor came in and examined me. He looked worried, so I asked him if something was wrong. He informed me that he felt a foot instead of a head. This meant Sebastian was breech and he needed to schedule an emergency C-section.  He was afraid the labor would progress and that the cord would prolapse or something.  My doctor instructed the nurses to bump the scheduled C-section and get me in as soon as possible.

It wasn’t long before I was draped, drugged and dug into.  I could only feel pressure on my abdomen, but no pain.  I heard the hoses they used for suction.  I saw curls of smoke as the cauterized.  The doctor’s discussed my unique unicorn uterus. The doctor palpitated my abdomen and then pulled Sebastian out.  I heard screams and then someone said, “He is definitely a boy!”  They cleaned him up and finished my operation.  They held him up briefly for me to see before sending him off to the nursery.


Sebastian was a whopping 7lbs. I could only imagine how big he’d been if he’d gone the full 40 week instead of 35 or 36 weeks.  He probably would have had to have been a C-section anyway.

They gave me meds and knocked me out.  I sunk into unconsciousness and then was wheeled into recovery.  An hour later I woke up and was taken to my room.  Eventually my empty room was filled with nurse and doctors. Jason arrived alone first. He was able to see Sebastian, but unable to hold him. The nurses didn’t want him to get Sebastian sick.  Jason, who looked like death warmed over, went home. Mom brought Ana to see me and Sebastian.

Jason tried to sleep and feel good enough to return to see us, but he didn’t.  Instead, he checked himself into the ER.  He was admitted and sent to room 4026. I was in room 2078.  My nurses updated me and told me my husband was being treated two floors above.  I fell asleep still in the dark as to why Jason was so sick.

The next day Sebastian spent in the nursery under the bilirubin light for his jaundice.  I met Jason at the nursery and there he told me that he was being treated for a MERSA Staph infection in his leg.  He was on high powered antibiotics.  His doctor told him the infection could have been fatal if he hadn’t of sought treatment.  The news made me feel sad and thankful.


About carilynn27

Reading and writing and writing about reading are my passion. I've been keeping a journal since I was 14. I also write fiction and poetry. I published my first collection of short stories, "Radiant Darkness" in 2000. I followed that up with my first collection of poetry in 2001 called "Journey without a Map." In 2008, I published "Persephone's Echo" another collection of poetry. Since then I've also published Emotional Espionage, The Way The Story Ended, My Perfect Drug and Out There. I have my BA in English from The Ohio State University at Mansfield and my MA in English Lit from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I also have my Post BA Certificate in Women's Studies. I am the mother of two beautiful children. :-)
This entry was posted in Biology, Event, Flashback and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.